Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Creative Circle CCDT April Blog Hop - It's For The Birds!



Welcome to the Creative Circle Design Team's April Blog Hop.  If you're new to the crafting world or you're not familiar with our acronym "CCDT" it stands for "Creative Circle Design Team". We are a group of like minded Stampin' Up! demonstrators from around the world who love paper crafting, Stampin' Up! products, SVG or electronic cutter patterns and participating in blog hops.  

Our CCDT hop is held on the first Thursday of each month and every 3rd month Liz Holloway, the leader of our group provides a pattern and challenge to create something using her 3D SVG and Silhouette formats.  

For our April CCDT Hop Liz has challenged us to create a bird house/card holder using her wonderful pattern.  This awesome paper bird house can store up to eight cards and envelopes, but could also hold a mini album, candies or other treats.  It would be really lovely for a Mother's Day Gift.

Here's My Bird House and Cards:
So far we've been having a soggy wet and cold Spring. with intermittent rain and occasionally snow and limited amounts of sunshine in between.  Since I'm unable to go outside and work in the garden, the weather has given me a great excuse to stay indoors and play in my craft room. Here's what I came up with.
Following Liz' wonderful pattern I assembled the cut out pieces for the shell and then decorated it in my own quirky style.  I love the way it turned out.  

Although the bird house holds eight cards and envelopes in its interior slot, I only made four cards.  I matched up the materials used for the bird house for my "bird themed" cards.
The  finished bird house measures 4"(w) x 9"(h) x  7-1/4"(d) and can actually be suspended on its own.  The roof is equipped with some strategically placed magnets that really have super holding powers.   I didn't have any wooden dowels to put in for roosts, so took advantage of some twigs in the yard.  
I combined the Swirly Scribbles Thinlets and the images from the new Flying Home stamp set to create this cute little scene.  All the images were coloured with Stampin Blends and were fussy cut.  I sponged over the brick stencil from Pattern Party Decorative Masks with Soft Suede ink.  To create the background for the bird houses I used an Oval die over top of a square piece of card stock.  I used a combination of pool party and soft sky inks for the sky and old olive for the grass and a sponge dauber. 
Supplies:  
Stamp Sets: Flying Home (#145929 - Occasions 2018), Badges and Banners (#141610 - Annual 2017/18)
Ink: Soft Suede, Old Olive, Pool Party, Soft Sky, Real Red, Momento Tuxedo Black
Stampin Blends:  Light and Dark shades of Daffodil Delight, Old Olive, Calypso Coral, Pool Party,  
Card Stock: Very Vanilla, Soft Suede, Real Red and Old Olive
Accessories: Big Shot, Paper Trimmer, Duet Banners Punch, Petal Burst and Fiesta Embossing Folders, Swirly Scribbles Thinlets, EK Success Stitched Rectangles, Stitched Shapes Framelits - Ovals), Pattern Party Decorative Masks, Wink of Stella Glimmer, Sequins, Dimensionals, Foam Tape, Tom Bow Glue.
Flying Home 8 piece rubber clear mount stamp set #145929 
Duet Banner Punch 

Badges and Banners - 7 piece clear mount rubber stamp set 

Pattern Party Decorative Masks - these can be used with sponge daubers and with textured embossing paste. 
I added Clear Wink of Stella to the roof tops and a few scattered sequins.  The images in the Flying Home stamp set were fun to colour.
Here you can see my improvised twig roosts and the bird house design on this side of the bird house.  The tile look on the roof was made with a retired embossing folder called "Fiesta".  The scallops are part of the design Liz created.
Here you can see the top of the bird house whenthe roof is removed.  The holder has enough room for a treat or eight cards and envelopes.  


I made four cards exactly the same except for the Swirly Scribbles design.  I did not add a sentiment or design element to the inside of the card because this is a "hello" card, leaving the inside blank leaves plenty of room for a personal note.  The card base for these cards is Very Vanilla, although in this picture it looks like white card stock.  I embossed the front of the base with the Petal Burst Embossing Folder

I stamped the birds nest and a two of the tiny butterflies from the Flying Home stamp set on the face of the envelope in Momento Tuxedo Black ink.  Note:  If I had coloured these images I would have placed a piece of watercolour paper on the inside of the envelope to protect it from ink leaking through. 


Love the little banner from the Badges and Banners stamp set.  I stamped it in Old Olive ink and punched it out with the Duet Banner Punch.  So eash to create a beautiful little sentiment piece.  I popped the banner up with Dimensionals on the Swirly Scribble. Although you can't see it the bird's nest has a coating of Clear Wink of Stella. 

I hope you enjoyed my Bird House project today and will take the time to comment.  
This project was very straight forward and Liz' pattern was easy to follow.  See her blog for more information.  Liz is holding a draw for 3 giveaways on May 3 on her blog so make sure you visit her and leave a comment and use the hashtag #LHDContest






Happy Stamping!
Penny Tokens Stampin Spot

5 comments:

Kate said...

Lovely design! I love the scene you created on the side of the birdhouse.

Gloria S said...

I love the double use of the bird house and of course, your cards. This truly allows everyone to be creative in their own way. Everyone has done something different with this project. I love it! thank you for sharing! have a blessed day!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Gloria for dropping by and for your lovely comment. Yes, without collaboration, everyone on the blog team came up with something unique and different. So many great ideas. Just might have to try this one again. If you like it make sure to leave a message on Liz Holloway's blog, you could win one of her kit giveaways this month.

Heather Hopson said...

I loved your project and the fact that I got to see it in person was even better! The cards and birdhouse colors were beautifully done. A lot of work, but you should be proud of your project. Well Done, Penny!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Heather. Glad you got to see it in person and appreciate your comments. Yes I was proud of it, despite putting the rungs on upside down. I'll have challenged birds going in there. Lol!

Zany Birthday FMS#628

Well another week has flown by and there's a promise of Spring between the rain drops.  I'm thrilled to see all the cherry trees sta...